Of course, taking measures to limit the exposure of the sneeze to others should be expected even more so than either a “blessing” or a “polite pardon” for one’s uncontrollable discharge.Seems to me that the only appropriate and expected response to a sneeze in public is for the sneezer to first and foremost cover up and, if appropriate, excuse oneself.

The Lincoln Project’s plan for preserving the union: Drive Trump out of office by driving him nuts In coastal Maine, the perfect pace for self-quarantining 8 recipes to please any ice cream lover: boozy or fruity, no-churn and vegan Thank you.Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.Readers may write to Miss Manners at MissManners@ unitedmedia.com, or via postal mail at United Media, 200 Madison Ave., 4th Floor, New York, NY 10016. Appropriate means not to interrupt others further by insisting to apologize and certainly not expecting that others would be asked to stop and provide a blessing each and every time a person sneezes.What is the “socially acceptable to everyone etiquette” for dealing with a public sneezer?GENTLE READER: Actually, there are many explanations of the origin of this ancient custom – as superstitions about health or actual religious blessings – which, Miss Manners supposes, validates your statement that its origin is unknown. I was pretty concerned about this.

I am satisfied that someone would ask only once to be excused for having to sneeze for whatever cause, as I understand that they have a problem and that sneezes are often uncontrollable. The journalists of The Spokesman-Review are a part of the community. You can help keep local journalism strong right now with your contribution. Saturday, August 1, 2020  Spokane, Washington  Est.

They care. The hosts have good incomes and are well educated. May 19, 1883Subscribe and log in to the Spokesman-Review to read and comment on this story

But many people are insulted if one does not provide the common English expression of “Bless you” or “God bless you” addressed to one who sneezes. Dear Miss Manners • I am a 26-year-old man living near my family, with whom I have very close relationships. My argument is that one who sneezes should be asking others to “please excuse me” for propelling one’s germs and other body fluids into our shared space. Any such pronouncements generally turn out to be bogus or contested.So people are still blessed at the first sneeze, and asked “Are you all right?” after a series.But people get accustomed and even emotionally attached to this patchwork of odd little customs. Yet there is no basis or known origin for this often-expected reply. Should a polite eater put the spread on an entire bagel half or just a bite?Reader is caught off guard when she can’t offer a “thank you” quickly enough for some.Hat with a political message bothers friend who would like to keep gatherings going.Stepmom is irked she was edged out of seven-person event.Reader makes own note cards on a computer and adds a handwritten note.Reader wonders if it’s okay for a person who isn’t a close relative to inform others.Fan expects more than perfunctory gestures from a round of applause.Reader’s suggestions on tracking down a stimulus check have gone unheeded.Graduate sent notes only to find out months later relatives hadn’t received them.Reader was in the hospital pre-pandemic and recently sent a thank-you note for flowers.Reader is tired of spouse’s lack of interest in keeping the house clean.Surgically precise breakfast activity seems to be in bad taste.New member of nonprofit board has awkward issue to raise.Teacher wants a polite way to close the subject of choosing not to participate.She forgets to monitor temperature and keep mask on when near co-workers.No excuse needed to politely signal that the party is over.Reinvite all guests, regardless of whether they planned to be at the original event.Relatives insist that hair should be styled and clothing without flaws when leaving the house. This often brings me into contact with their friends, many of whom I …

Miss Manners Archives 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 Miss Manners in Advice December 30, 2010 Am I really to be expected to issue a blessing each and every time someone sneezes? Miss Manners Archives.